Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Red Special (I haven't forgotten)

It's been a while since I did any work on this project. So while applying shellac to the Telecaster build, I've taken advantage of the drying time to revisit the Red Special.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

TDPRI Telecaster - Finishing

Before I could startI start finishing process, I strung up the guitar. This would by my last chance to make any major corrections without having to worry about screwing up the finish. No corrections needed. And I love how she feels. Just as good as my ES-125, only different.

I started rubbing shellac on the top of the body and then the sides. At some point while applying the shellac, I smudged the side. To fix it, I had to sand the spot back with 320 grit, then re-apply the shellac.

I applied several coats of Tru-Oil to the neck and shellac to the body today. I'll keep doing this for a couple more days, and then wet sand the body and neck.