Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Number 6 - the Jr has been completed... and then trouble

A couple weeks ago, I completed Number 6, the Jr. The guitar has two Seymour Duncan pickups, a JB and a Jazz. the pickups are both wired for series/parallel dpdt switches.





I rushed completion of the guitar so that I could bring it with us on a trip to visit family and friends. In the days following the completion I brought the guitar upstairs and hung it on the wall.











































































...and played it several times before starting our trip.
So the guitar traveled in a standard gig bag in the back of a car for about a 30 hour road trip over 10 days. While the heat was partially to blame, the reality was that I did not allow the shellac enough time to cure in a dry location. As a result the gig bag left some impressions on the finish.
...as did the wall hanger.

...dings also set in.
So, I now had to take a couple steps back. First, I turned on the dehumidifier in the basement and set it to 35%. Next, I sanded the marks up areas of the body with 400 grit wet (using mineral spirits not water) sand paper. Then I began french polishing again, just the affected areas. Now that this is done I will run through the sanding and final polishing steps in a couple of days. The shellac should be hard enough now to not mark up so easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment