Friday, March 23, 2012

2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge - Fretboard choices


So for the past couple of weeks I have been thinking about what would be an appropriate fretboard for this build. I knew that I wanted something that went well with the curly maple top I was planning on using. But I just wasn't happy with the wood I had lying around. 
The first thought I had was the curly maple at the top of this first frame. I liked it alot but it just doesn't feel dramatic enough to me. The flame maple at the bottom of the frame is from the same batch that I'm creating the neck out of, but it doesn't compliment the figure or tone of the top.

I considered (briefly) a bird's eye maple. Then I decided to give the local wood store another try.


That's where I found this 1/4" board. I like how the tightness of the grain matches the center of the book-matched top. The figure is running on a slight angle to the edges. I will cut it so that grain follows the center line. Bellow, I've taped off the edges just so that  I could get a good sense of what this would look like once I cut it. I'll also have to do something about the slight differences in color. The fretboard is slightly redder than the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment