Sunday, April 15, 2012

2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge - cat's eye sound hole and gluing the top

This weekend, I worked on the cat's eye sound hole (decided against the traditional f-hole), routed the top thinner for the electronics cavity and glued the curly maple top to the maple back.

To cut the sound hole, I started by using various sized drill bits. I then moved onto a coping saw for a rough cut. And followed that with a file and sand-paper to smooth out the edges.
































The top is 3/8" thick. In order for the electronics to fit properly, I needed to route the top thinner. I will be using a single concentric volume and tone pot, however I haven't decided on the switch configuration yet. I'm leaning towards a four-way as well as two capacitor tone switch. We'll see what I can pull off.


Before gluing the top to the back, I thought it might be a good idea to add a signature visible through the sound hole.

I also thought it might be fun to put a note inside the top front cavity. Since there is no opening this not will hopefully never be read by anyone again. 

I also decided to add an homage to Woody Guthrie, written backwards under the sound hole. Now if anyone uses a dentist's mirror to inspect this chamber they will see this instrument's intended purpose.



















I glued the top onto the back, and let it sit over night.


I added the obligatory extra weights to help with the gluing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment